we disappeared into the night

I packed my backpack full of food, water and a torch, Mary packed the same things plus marshmallows and matches to light a fire. We parked the car near the bush land, we grabbed our stuff and we disappeared into the night. The street lights soon became invisible, we didn’t need our torches, our journey was guided by the light of the moon. We were heading towards a large clearing down by the creek to have a fire and tell stories. We were going to meet John, Elizabeth, and Jacob from school, they packed practically the same things as us except they also brought gummy bears.

It had rained a few days ago and the grass and trees were still very green and bush fires are always so serious in Australia, we wanted to have a fire and tell stories but should I really be doing this? Is it safe. Bob who is the grown up said that because we are having the fire far away from the trees and that  we bought water to put it out it would still be safe to have a fire, roast marshmallows and tell spooky stories. And that made me feel so relieved😅.

By Caitlin